Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Playlist: Star *

Here's a new part of the Segment where I just detail out games I've been playing or have played recently. Luckily today, I got some gaming in.

I got in a couple of Star related games in: Star Wars Armada and Star Realms. These were both first time plays for me. My friend from work had picked up both these games a while ago and we just finally got to have some time to play.

First up was Star Wars: Armada. Armada is a miniatures game published by Fantasy Flight Games that is in the same vein as Star Wars: X-Wing. Both are miniatures based games with the minis painted and of good quality. X-Wing is at the star fighter while Armada is at the capital ship scale. The rules for each reflect their scale. The two are different enough to where I'd be happy to play either one. We played the basic rules to 6 rounds. I managed to take out most of his TIE squadrons. He managed to slag my Nebulon B Frigate. In the end, his total damage was greater and won.

The second star game to be played was Star Realms. Star Realms is a deck building game where you start with a small deck of 10 cards and you add to it via purchasing more cards. Dominion is another deck builder which I own and it kind of played the same. There were certainty different rules going on but it felt very similar. Both played pretty fast. Something that caught my eye with Star Realms was the lack of packaging. I've seen the game at the FLGS lots of times and always thought it was a some expansion or needed additional cards. And I was wrong. It's a self contained deck builder.

Star Realms has been out for a while while Armada managed to finally come out this year. Both I could see added to my library and played more. You probably won't go wrong adding them to yours either.


No comments:

Post a Comment